What about some Bright Yellow Roasted Cauliflower for tonight’s dinner? This side dish requires little work and few ingredients. It is lovely to look at and it taste wonderful! The yellow colour comes from turmeric which is accompanied by cumin, sesame seeds and lemon juice. Before serving it I sprinkle a little sumac on top. Sumac is a ground spice that is used a lot in Middle Eastern cuisine. It adds a tangy taste, to the food, that I find very appealing. I sprinkle my sumac on top of salads, rice and hummus. It also tastes great in marinades and together with almost any vegetable dish. If you can’t find any sumac where you live, you can always order some online or you can go ahead and prepare your Bright Yellow Roasted Cauliflower without it.
Bright Yellow Roasted Cauliflower
- 1 medium head of cauliflower
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil (for the roasting)
- 1 tbsp black sesame seeds
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp sumac (optional)
- a handful of fresh herbs for garnish (cilantro or parsley)
1. Preheat the oven to 200C / 395F. Cut the cauliflower in bouquets and toss them around in a little oil. Roast the in the oven for approximately 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven and place in a bowl.
2. Slice the garlic finely. Heat 4 tbsp of vegetable oil in a small pan. When the oil is warm you add the garlic, sesame seeds, cumin, turmeric and salt. Let the garlic turn golden and the remove from the heat and pour over the cauliflower. Add the lemon juice and toss everything carefully until all the cauliflower is coated in the warm oil mixture. Sprinkle a little sumac on top and garnish with some fresh herbs. Enjoy!