After I graduated from school I spent some time abroad in Dublin, Ireland. I then got the habit of eating muffins or scones for breakfast. I used to really enjoy my Irish mornings and once I was back in Sweden I tried to continue my new breakfast routine. But back then I hadn’t really found my way in the kitchen and I was soon back to my old classic sandwich breakfast.
Every once in a while I think of all the delicious blueberry muffins and rhubarb scones I used to have during my Dublin days. But today I wouldn’t want to eat that amount of sugar in the morning and more importantly, I wouldn’t want my daughter to do so either. At least not on a daily basis.
I then created this recipe for Lemon Chia Muffins with Lingonberry. It is the perfect muffin for your breakfast or afternoon snack. They are filled with yummy things like berries, maple syrup and lemon. And they are packed with fibers, good fats and protein. If you want your muffins on the sweeter side, use the bigger amount of maple syrup given in the recipe. If you can’t find any lingonberries you may swap them for blueberries or raspberries instead. This is a great base recipe that you can vary after occasion and taste. Instead of lemon zest you could, for example, add some cinnamon or vanilla and the berries can easily be accompanied by different nuts.
Lemon Chia Muffins with Lingonberry
- 2 dl / 0.8 cup light spelt flour
- 2 dl / 0.8 cup whole grain spelt flour
- 1.5 dl /0.6 cup almond milk
- 1-1.5 dl / 0.4-0.6 cup maple syrup
- 2 tbsp ground chia seeds
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tsp baking powder
- zest from 1 lemon
- 1.5 dl / 0.6 cup lingonberry (frozen or fresh)
- a pinch of salt
1. Preheat the oven to 175°C / 350°F.
2. Blend the flour, crushed chia seeds, baking powder, salt and lemon zest in a bowl.
3. Melt the coconut oil. Blend the almond milk with the coconut oil and maple syrup. Pour it over the dry mix and stir carefully until everything is blended. Gently fold in the lingonberries and spoon the batter into muffin cups, filling each cup about 3/4 full.
4. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes. Let them cool for 10 minutes before you eat. Enjoy!