Today I am introducing a new category with breakfast recipes here on Veggie Town. I am starting with some super tasty, flavourful sweet potato pancakes. Together with maple syrup and roasted hazelnuts this has become one of my favourite breakfasts. Lately I have been trying to increase my repertoire of morning meals and I thought I would document the more successful creations. I have always enjoyed the first meal of the day. And even though the weekday breakfasts sometimes tend to be consumed in a hurry the quality of the day becomes much better when started with a proper meal. As for the weekends, I just love a big breakfast with my family without any appointments to keep.
These pancakes are very popular with everyone in the family. Even my daughter (who isn’t a big fan of sweet potato) loves them. The sweet potato gives a bit of sweetness to the pancakes. I have also added cinnamon, a great match with the maple syrup and the roasted hazelnuts. I hope you will enjoy them as much as we do!
Sweet Potato Pancake with Maple Syrup and Roasted Hazelnuts
- 400 g sweet potato
- 6 dl / 2.5 cup soy milk
- 1.5 dl / 0.6 cup spelt flour or wholegrain flour
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 2 tbsp psyllium seed husk
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 100 g hazelnut
- vegetable oil or coconut oil for frying
1. Roast the hazelnuts in the oven for about 20 minutes in 150ºC / 300ºF. Peel and divide the sweet potato in pieces. Cook them in boiling water until soft.
2. Blend all the dry ingredients (except the hazelnuts) in a bowl and set aside. Mix the sweet potato and half of the soy milk in a mixer until completely smooth. Pour into a bowl and add half of the dry mix while stirring. Continue by adding the rest of the soy milk and then the rest of the dry mix.
3. Take a big spoon full of batter and fry in a little vegetable or coconut oil. Continue with the rest of the batter. Serve together with maple syrup and roasted hazelnuts. Enjoy!