In the middle of all the Christmas preparations and Holiday flavors I have started craving some non-Christmas-anti-holiday-food. Even though I love the abundance of specific flavors around this time of year I sometimes think that I might get addicted to cinnamon and Christmas treats. I believe there’s going to be some serious weaning off when January arrives.
Another dish that is highly addictive is this One Pot Quinoa Bonanza. I like the fact that it’s quick to make and it’s all prepared in one pot. It is easy to vary the vegetables after taste and what you have at home. One Pot Quinoa Bonanza is great all on its own or together with any of these recipes for Hot Chili and Cilantro Sauce and Fresh green Chutney.
One Pot Quinoa Bonanza
- 2.5 dl /1 cup quinoa
- 1 can of chickpeas (400 g) or the same amount home cooked
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 inch fresh ginger
- 400 g butternut squach
- 2 potatoes
- 1 red pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1.5 tsp paprika powder
- 0.5 tsp turmeric
- 0.5 tsp smoked paprika
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 0.5 lemon
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 7-8 dl / 3 cup of water
- a big fistful of chopped fresh parsley
- a big fistful of chopped fresh cilantro
- Chop the onion, garlic and ginger finely. Dice the potato, butternut squash and red pepper.
- Heat the oil and start by sautéing the onion until transparent and golden. Add the ginger, garlic and after a minute or two the rest of the vegetables and the spices. Stir until everything is covered in oil and continue to sauté for a minute and then add about 3 dl of water.
- Let it all simmer until the potato and butternut squash is soft and tender. Add the rest of the water, quinoa, salt and juice from half a lemon.
- Let it simmer, under lid, until all the liquid has evaporated, stirring every once in a while. Add more water if needed.
- Stir in the washed chickpeas and the fresh herbs. Let it cook for minute allowing the flavors to blend. Serve warm. Enjoy!