Every year when the cold arrives I feel like cooking warm, nourishing and hearty meals. When making this I almost always include some kind of pulse. This Mixed Bean Soup is no exception and it has become a real favorite in our house. I love the combination of paprika, smoked paprika and cilantro which together makes the base of this dish. I only use a small amount of the smoked paprika but even so it makes all the difference. A general rule when using any kind of paprika powder is to cook it in a little oil before you add any liquid. This way you will get much more flavor and character from the spice.
Mixed Bean Soup With Paprika And Cilantro
- 2 cans of mixed beans (400 g/can) or the same amount home cooked beans
- 1 big onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 4 tomatoes
- 2 tbsp paprika powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 l water (or more)
- 2.5 dl /1 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- Wash the beans and set aside. If you use dry beans prepare according to package.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and fry the onion in medium heat until it is translucent and golden.
- Add the garlic, dry spices and salt. give it a stir and fry for a minute before you add the tomatoes. Cook the tomatoes until soft and then add beans and 2/3 of the water. Let it simmer for about 20 minutes adding water gradually, amount depending on how you prefer your soup.
- Stir in the chopped cilantro and add more salt if needed. Enjoy!