We are in the middle of august and it is getting harder and harder to find any decent strawberries. But all god things must come to an end and if you are lucky you may still find local strawberries of good quality outside the supermarkets. And if you do, I then suggest you prepare a few bottles of this strawberry barbecue sauce. Because we still have many more beautiful summer days full of barbecuing, right?
This barbecue sauce made of strawberries is delicious. It is sweet, rich, smokey and with a hint of rosemary. You may roast the strawberries in the oven before adding them to the sauce pan. If you do so you will loose a bit of the strawberry flavor but instead the flavor will become deeper and even more rich! I love this sauce and I will make it again and again, summer after summer!
Strawberry Barbecue Sauce
- 1 kg strawberries
- 200 g sugar
- 1 dl / 0.5 cup white wine vinegar
- 5 tbsp Japanese soy sauce
- 1-2 red chili peppers
- 0.5 tsp fresh rosemary leaves
- 0.5 tsp smoked paprika powder
- 0.5 tsp garlic powder / 2 fresh garlic cloves
- 0.5 tsp mustard powder
- 1.5-2 tsp salt
- Wash the strawberries and chili. Slice the strawberries and chop the chili and garlic (if fresh) finely.
- Add all ingredients, except the salt, to a large sauce pan and bring to boil. Lower the heat and let it simmer until the strawberries are soft and squashy. This will take around 15 minutes.
- Add salt after taste.
- Remove from heat and mix until the texture becomes smooth.
- Bring to boil one last time and then pour into sterilized bottles and store in a cool place. If the jars are properly sterilized and stored in cool place the sauce will keep for many months.