August has offered many warm and sunny days and lets just hope there are more to come. And for all those warm days that are left you will need something refreshing to drink. This recipe for Fresh Mint and Citrus Cooler has everything you may wish for. It is cool, sweet and full of tangy citrus and mint. The citruses used in this recipe are lime and lemon but you could swap one of the lemons for an orange instead. That will give the cooler a completely different character. Different but equally tasty!
Fresh Mint and Citrus Cooler
- 3 lime
- 2 lemon
- 2.5 dl / 1 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1-1.5 dl sugar
- 8 dl / 3.5 cups water
- Wash the lime, lemon and mint. Place the zest from the citruses in a big bowl and make sure to use only the green and yellow part of the zest (the white part will make the flavour bitter). Use a sharp knife or potato peeler for this purpose. Add the fresh mint leaves to the bowl.
- Place the water and sugar in a saucepan and bring to boil. Lower the heat and let it simmer while stirring until all the sugar has dissolved.
- Pour the hot liquid over the the zest and the mint leaves in the bowl. Add the juice from all the citruses. Cover the bowl and leave in the refrigerator for a few hours or over night.
- Strain the liquid to remove the zest, mint leaves and possible citrus kernels. Pour your fresh citrus and mint cooler into bottles and serve it ice cold with a sprig of fresh mint in it.