Summer is flying by and after an intensive week of moving and settling in our new house we have taken off to Basque country, Spain. Two well deserved weeks of hanging out with our Basque family and friends, eating regional delicacies, relaxing and much more. I will soon dedicate a full post to some of all the yummy vegetarian/vegan goodies we have been eating during our stay. Although being a vegetarian or vegan is a bit of a challenge in this country there are some really tasty treasures if you know where and what to look for.
Before we left our old house I made this Stuffed Sweet Potato Topped with Tahini Sauce. I guess you can say it was our last proper home cooked meal before several days of falafel and pizza abundance. With our entire kitchen wrapped up there were really not much of a choice.
Baked sweet potato is just as easy to make as it is tasty. It is simple to vary with different types of fillings depending on mood and occasion. The filling for this recipe is more or less a creamy, sweet and sour salad with a little crunch. I believe this recipe is best during the warmer season and that it is a great complement to a barbecue. The filling only could also be eaten together with rice or different types of bread like for example in a wrap or burrito.
Stuffed Sweet Potato Topped with Tahini Sauce
- 4 small-medium sweet potato
- 1 can black beans (400 g)
- 1 ripe mango
- 1 avocado
- 1 green pepper
- 1 tomato
- 1/2 red onion
- juice from 1 lime
- 1 handful of fresh chopped cilantro
- 1/2-1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp tahini (the type you find in the middle-east-section of your shop)
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- 3 tbsp water
- a pinch of salt
1. Heat the oven to 200C/400F. Prick the sweet potatoes and bake until tender , about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
2. In the meantime you prepare the filling and the tahini sauce. Start by dicing the mango, avocado, pepper, tomato and onion. Place in a bowl and then add lime juice, black beans (rinsed and drained), fresh chopped cilantro, olive oil and salt. Give it a good stir and set aside while preparing the sauce.
3. In a small bowl you add the tahini, lemon juice and water. Stir until you get a smooth and creamy sauce. You may adjust the amount of water depending on how thick or thin you want your sauce. Season with salt after taste. Enjoy!
One thought on “Stuffed Sweet Potato Topped with Tahini Sauce”
Pingback: 14 More Vegan Thanksgiving Recipes - Healthy Slow Cooking