These little Savoy Cabbage Parcels are both beautiful and tasty. They may look a bit advanced but they are actually pretty easy to make. I serve them with a creamy sauce made of almond butter, lemon, soy sauce and maple syrup. If you can’t get hold of any almond butter (or hazelnut butter) you can make your own. The hazelnuts in this recipe are easily replaced with almonds and although I prefer almond butter, it is also delicious with hazelnut butter or a blend of the two. Savoy Cabbage Parcels with Almond Sauce is perfect as a side dish or as a part of a buffet. I hope you will like them as much as we do in our house.
Savoy Cabbage Parcels with Almond Sauce
Savoy Cabbage Parcels
- 1.5 dl / 0.6 cup raw rice
- 200 g beet
- 1 carrot
- 1 onion
- 2 cm ginger
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsk salt
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil (+ 1 more for brushing before it goes into the oven)
- 2 heads of savoy cabbage
- 1/2 tbsp maple sirup
- 5 tbsp almond butter (or hazelnut butter)
- 1/2-1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 3 tbsp water
- 2 tsp maple sirup
1. Heat the oven to 200C/390F. Cook the rice according to the package and set aside.
2. Remove 8-9 outer leaves of the cabbage and cook them in boiling water for about five minutes. Save the rest of the cabbage for another day (or you can grate it and add it to the filling).
3. Grate the beets and the carrot. Chop the onion, garlic and ginger. Heat the oil in a frying pan and add onion. When the onion is golden and soft you add the ginger and garlic. Fry quickly without burning and then add the beet and carrot. Let it cook on low heat for about five minutes. After five minutes you mix in the rice together with the soy sauce, lemon juice and salt.
4. Divide the filling between the cabbage leaves and roll up into small parcels. Place them with the on a baking tray with the folded edges downwards. Brush the parcels with a mix of oil and maple syrup and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
5. While the cabbage parcels are baking you prepare the almond sauce. Simply add all the ingredients in a bowl and stir until everything is blended into a smooth sauce. Enjoy!