I can’t say the amount times I have been to a Thai or Vietnamese restaurant and wished I was able to eat a Mango Salad. They always look so fresh and delicious but every time they are also full of fish sauce and because of that they are not for me. The other day I finally decided to create a fresh and delicious Mango Salad myself. And you know what? It really was all that I ever wished for! The dressing is amazingly good and completely free from fish sauce!
For this recipe I have combined my Mango Salad with some Chili Glazed Tofu and together they make a great match! If you haven’t cooked tofu this way before you are in for a great and tasty surprise. Prepare this dish for all your friends thinking that tofu is dull and tasteless. They will never utter the words tofu and dull in the same sentence ever again. The glaze in this recipe is pretty basic but don’t be afraid to experiment and add more spices if you like.
Mango Salad with Chili Glazed Tofu
- 2 bunches bok choy
- 1 red pepper (small)
- 2 ripe mango
- 250 g cherry tomatoes
- 30 g fresh cilantro (medium big bunch)
- a fistful of peanuts, chopped
- 3 tbsp lime juice (fresh)
- 2 tbsp orange juice (fresh)
- 1 tbsp Japanese soy sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp agave syrup
- 1 small clove of garlic
- 300 g firm tofu
- 3 tbsp Japanese soy sauce
- 3 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 cm ginger, finely chopped
- 1/2 red chili, finely chopped (+ another 1/2 for garnish)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
1. Start by washing all the vegetables for the salad. Cut the mango and pepper in thin slices lengthwise. Divide the tomatoes in halves and chop the fresh cilantro, leaving a little for garnish later. Add everything to a salad bowl.
2. Mix together all the ingredients for the dipping sauce and pour over the salad. Stir quickly and leave the salad to marinate in the bowl while you prepare the tofu.
3. Time to prepare the glaze. Mix together the soy sauce, honey, vinegar, ginger and chili. Heat the oil in a pan. Add the tofu cut in 1 1/2 cm thick slices and immediately turn the heat down to low and add the glaze. Let the tofu simmer in the glaze for about 10 minutes but be careful not to burn it. After ten minutes you flip the tofu over to the other side and let it cook for another ten minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated. Place on a small plate and garnish with chili cut in thin slices.
4. While the tofu is cooking you wash and drain the bok choy. Divide it evenly on a plate and add the salad on top of it. Make sure to drizzle all the the dressing over the salad and to leave nothing in the bowl. Garnish with the rest of the cilantro and the chopped peanuts.
5. Serve your Mango Salad with Chili Glazed Tofu together with rice or noodles. Enjoy!