The greatest recipes are almost always randomly invented. Like with this recipe for Sweet Potato & Coconut Brownies. With a fridge full of sweet potato and a huge craving for something chocolaty there was really only one way to go. These brownies are made off sweet potato, coconut and of course chocolate. They are vegan, gluten free and for anyone to enjoy.
As a sweetener I have added agave syrup but you could also use honey. If you do use honey instead, they won’t be completely vegan any more. The brownies in this recipe are sweet but not too sweet. You may increase the amount of agave syrup for a sweeter result but I personally find it superfluous.
Something needs to be said about the texture. Sweet Potato & Coconut Brownies are moist, fudgy and seriously gorgeous. This is a must-bake-recipe for all you true chocoholics out there!
Sweet Potato & Coconut Brownies
- 1 medium sweet potato (oven baked, soft and chilled)
- 1.2 dl / 0.5 cup cacao powder
- 2.5 tbsp coconut flour
- 2 tbsp psyllium seed husk
- 6 tbsp water
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 vanilla pod
- 1.2 dl / 0.5 cup coconut oil
- 1 dl / 0.4 cup agave syrup
- 200 ml coconut cream
- 150 g dark chocolate (70%)
1. Preheat the oven to 185C / 365F.
2. Combine cacao powder, coconut flour, psyllium seed husk, vanilla pod seeds, baking soda and baking powder in a bowl. Melt the coconut oil and mix the remaining wet ingredients for the cake in another bowl and make sure it is well incorporated. Now, add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until everything is blended. Pour the mixture into a baking tray (approx. 10/24 cm) covered in oven paper. Bake for about 20-25 minutes.
3. While the cake is in the oven you prepare the frosting. Melt the chocolate together with the coconut cream in a deep plate over boiling water (bain-marie).
4. When the cake has chilled you divide the frosting (still warm) on top and garnish with coconut flakes or shredded coconut. Leave in the fridge for a couple of hours before you cut it. Enjoy!