These Corn Fritters are my new favourite snack! They are great to serve before dinner as a starter or when your guests arrive at a party. You can eat them with many different sauces but my favourite is with Hot Sauce. The sauce in this recipe is so good! If Corn Fritters are my new favourite snack, Hot Sauce is definitely my new favourite sauce. And two favourite things together can´t go wrong, right?
For the fritters I used chickpea flour because I like to add a bit of protein to them but wheat flour will definitely also do. The flavour mainly comes from the corn (of course), cilantro and sesame seeds. I used black sesame seeds but if you can´t find that you may use white ones instead. There´s not a big difference when it comes to the taste but I find the black ones a bit more appealing to the eye in this particular dish.
The sauce is made from roasted red peppers, chili and paprika. The creamy texture comes from potato which I discovered is a great ingredient in this sauce. Hot Sauce has a lot of flavour and the heat in it is easily adjusted. If you prefer it really hot just add a bit more chili and if you prefer it less hot just use less. This is the type of sauce you will find yourself licking the bowl for. Just saying…
Corn Fritters with Hot Sauce
For the Corn Fritters
- 150 g corn kernels
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 small shallot
- a big handful of fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tsp black or white sesame seeds
- 50 g chickpea flour or wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 dl / 0.5 cup water
For the Hot Sauce
- 1 red pepper
- 1-3 red chili peppers
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 small potato
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 millilitre cumin
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 dl / 0.5 cup water
1. Wash and drain the corn kernels. Place them in a bowl.
2. Chop the shallots and garlic finely and add it to the bowl together with the chickpea flour and salt.
3. Roast the sesame seeds lightly in a dry pan and let them cool. Chop the fresh cilantro leaves roughly. Add both ingredients to the bowl and give it all a good stir.
4. Add water to the dry ingredients and mix until everything is well blended.
5. Heat enough oil in a pan to deep fry. When the oil is ready you spoon out the mixture into the hot oil and fry until golden and crisp. (Instead of deep frying you can fry them with less oil. They will still turn out great!)
1. Heat the oven to 225C° / 435°F. Divide the pepper in big pieces and place them on a baking tray covered in oven paper. Remove the peel from the garlic cloves and add them to the peppers. Roast all of it in the oven for about 15-20 minutes. You know it is ready when the pepper has turned charred, soft and black on the edges.
2. Boil the potato and set aside to cool.
3. Remove the stems from the chili. If you want it very hot you leave the seeds, if not you remove them.
4. Add all ingredients to a blender and mix until it´s completely smooth. Add more water if you you want the sauce less thick. Serve together with Corn Fritters and enjoy!