The weekends Christmas market has caused a current lack of spoons and this is the cause behind me spending most of day in the sofa watching Christmas movies together with Iris. She has been home from preschool, for what feels like forever, with Scarlet fever. I don’t think I have ever heard of anyone before who’s had that. But that’s not so strange because apparently it is not very common these days. After some research on the internet, about Scarlet fever, I suddenly felt very grateful over the invention of antibiotics. And talking about inventions, I do have a newly invented Christmas dish to share with you today.
At your Christmas table you must have at least one colourful salad. This roasted beetroot salad with glazed hazelnuts and orange is served together with a dressing made of miso, ginger and honey. The combination of beetroot, hazelnut, ginger and orange make this salad perfect for Christmas.
Roasted Beetroot Salad with Glazed Hazelnuts and Orange
For the salad
1 kg beetroot
100 g hazelnut
75 g mixed green leaves
2 tbsp granulated sugar
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp olive oil
1-2 tsp flaked salt
For the dressing
1 1/2 tbsp miso
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 tbsp tamari or Japanese soy sauce
1 tsp olive oil
1 cm grated ginger
A big pinch of salt
Method for the Salad
1. Heat the oven to 225ºC/435ºF. Peel and cut the beetroot in wedges. Split the wedges in halves and turn them around in olive oil and flaked salt. Roast the beetroot in the oven for approximately 25 minutes.
2. Add the hazelnuts in a dry frying pan and roast them on medium to high heat for a few minutes. Add the sugar and once it has melted add the honey. Turn the hazelnuts around until all of them are covered in glaze. Place them on a piece of baking paper and let them cool before you separate them.
3. Peel the orange and then remove the thin skin that surrounds the wedges.
4. Wash and drain the green leaves. Divide the leaves on a plate or tray. Add the cooled beetroot on top of the leaves and later the orange wedges and hazelnuts. Just before serving you drizzle approximately half of the dressing over the salad and save the rest in a small bowl for anyone to add later on. Enjoy!
Method for the Dressing
1. Mix the miso and honey in a small bowl until you get a smooth paste.
2. Add the vinegar, lemon juice, soy sauce and olive oil.
3. Grate the ginger and add it to the dressing together with the salt. Enjoy!
Note: The beetroot is supposed to be served at room temperature in this dish. That way it is easy to prepare it in advance, which is great at Christmas when you usually cook a lot. Just remember to add the dressing right before serving!