This is my first post on the theme vegetarian Christmas food. Pickled veggies are delicious on the side of any dish at the Christmas table. Clearly you can eat pickled veggies at any day of the year and it is not a given at this occasion but I believe it is a refreshing contribution to any holiday table. And wouldn’t it be nice to show off your own pickled veggies to family and friends?
3 dl water
3/4 dl vinegar ( for pickling 12% )
200 g sugar ( granulated )
1 tsp salt
3 bay leaves
2 cloves of garlic
1 red onion
1 fennel bulb
1/2 cauliflower ( small one )
1. Peel the carrot and red onion. Cut in 1 cm thick slices. Remove the stalks from the fennel bulb and cut it in 1 cm thick slices. Split the cauliflower into small florets and peel the garlic cloves.
2. Bring water, vinegar, sugar, salt and bay leaves to a boil.
3. Put all the vegetables in the boiling liquid and leave it there for three minutes, not more.
4. Divide the vegetables in two small jars or one big ( sterilized ). Add liquid until the vegetables are completely covered. Put the lid on while it is still hot. Store it in a cool and dark place.
5. Enjoy your pickled veggies with your Christmas lunch or dinner!