When I make Sweet Potato and Peanut Burgers I usually make many and put some of them away in the freezer. I like to have a stash of veggie burgers in my freezer for busy days when I can’t find the time to make them from scratch.
I am not going to give any further introduction to this dish. Make them, eat them and love them!
Recipe for Sweet Potato and Peanut Burger
Sweet Potato and Peanut Burger
400 g sweet potato
2 cans ( 400 g a can ) cannellini beans ( white beans with thin peel )
2 small-medium onions
4 cloves of garlic
1-2 red chili pepper
4 tbsp of peanut butter
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika powder
1/2 tsp smoked paprika powder
1 tsp salt
1 dl / 0.5 cup chickpea flour / nutritional yeast / breadcrumbs
oil for frying
1. Bake the sweet potato in a 200°C / 400°F oven for about 50 minutes or until completely tender.
2. In the meantime you wash and drain the beans. Mash them with a big fork on a cutting board and remove the mash to a bowl.
3. Dice the onion and fry it in a frying pan. When the onion is starting to become soft you add the chopped garlic and chili. Fry until the onion is golden and then add it to the mash.
4. Add the peanut butter, spices, salt and the chickpea flour to the bowl and mix with a fork.
5. When the sweet potato is done you remove the skin from it and mash the pulp with a fork. Add the sweet potato mash to the rest of the ingredients and mix until everything is blended.
6. Use your hands and shape burgers that you fry quickly on medium heat until they get a nice surface. I prefer using a non stick pan for this.
7. Place the burgers on a baking tray covered in baking paper and bake in a 200°C / 400°F oven for 10 minutes.
8. Enjoy your burgers with some of the options mentioned above!
Note: You could place the mixture in the fridge before you start shaping your burgers. They mixture will then be even easier to with.